About Kick It Up A Notch Academy of Dance
Dance studio teaching technique and a love of dance to students from Langley to Abbotsford.
For information on programs, click on the links below.
This Aldergrove dance studio, serving students from Abbotsford to Langley, opened its doors in 2007 complete with sprung hardwood floors. After only one year, the studio had grown too large for just one studio so it was decided that Kick It Up A Notch Academy of Dance would renovate and expand to house two dance studios. The new dance studio would have sprung floors covered with an Adagio Marley Dance Floor to aid in the instruction of Pointe, Ballet, and Tap. In 2014, to meet the demands of many young students wishing to dance at the studio, KIUAN expanded to a third studio space with sprung floors again covered with Marley Dance floor.
Finishing up its tenth year, the studio has made a name for itself in the Fraser Valley. During its first ten years, the students and staff of Kick It Up A Notch have worked hard to put themselves on the map as a competitive and family-friendly studio that creates a love of dance; they have been honoured with top awards in competitions such as Shine, Peak, Dance Power, Star Talent, and others throughout the Lower Mainland and Northwestern Washington. The studio has also been represented twice at the Provincials with 2-time British Columbia Dance Champion Lauren Tokiwa. In addition, students of Kick It Up A Notch also have had the opportunity to be involved in two productions: The Nutcracker (December, 2007) and Annie (June, 2009). The studio has recently watched one of its grads, Mao Kawakami, reap the rewards of passion and hard work as she works as a professional dancer in Los Angeles with the likes of Snoop Dogg, Pharrell Williams and the Far East Movement (read more here).
With a focus on ballet, the studio offers R.A.D. exam work with certified instructors. The key goals of the staff at KIUAN are to develop beautiful technique while also inspiring a love of dance in a caring, family-friendly atmosphere.
Ever since owner Tonya Wejr was a little girl, she dreamed of owning her own dance studio. After years of learning from successful teachers and choreographers, as well as performing at top amateur and professional levels, she decided it was time to follow her dream. Now a mother of twin daughters and a proud resident of Aldergrove, she understands and believes in the importance of family and community. Tonya invites you to come share her passion for the world of dance at Kick It Up A Notch Academy of Dance.
At Kick It Up A Notch, we believe:
- Every student should have the opportunity to experience high-quality teaching that teaches strong foundations and inspires a love for dance.
- Every student belongs at the studio - regardless of age, body type, and skill level. Connection to the dancers, instructors and families is of the utmost importance.
- Every student flourishes in a supportive, respectful, and family-friendly culture in which staff, students, and families show humility and continual encouragement for each other.
- Each should be dedicated with a strong work ethic all driven by a passion for dance
- Time at the studio should be purposeful and meaningful and align with our vision of inspiring a love for dance. It is not always about the quantity of hours spent at the studio but more about the quality of hours spent with effective instructors and passionate dancers.
- Although our dancers do exceptionally well at competitions, they should dance for more than competitions; students should dance for themselves and others to spread joy and reach people far beyond the studio
At Kick It Up A Notch, we believe in creating a family culture that inspires a love for dance!
Contact us for info or a studio tour of Kick It Up A Notch Academy of Dance!
Click on the following links for general information on our programs:
Preschool Programs: Lil' Ballerinas, Lil' Hip Hoppers, Tiny Tumblers, and more!
Recreational Programs: introductory programs for all ages.
Competitive Programs: programs for the passionate, dedicated dancer.
Feedback from our students means the world to us. Please take a few moments to view what our 2013 seniors shared about the KIUAN family in this video "KIUAN Love".
Check out our KIUAN dancers sharing a "little victory" with an inspiring young ballerina, Audrey, on this clip from the 2015 Variety BC Show of Hearts Telethon.